Friday, September 19

Mini Album - Decorating the Cover

Yesterday we created the cover and binding for our mini album.  Ideally, you will have left it to dry overnight so that the varnish and glue has had time to set and hold everything securely in place before you decorate.
 
 
When I decorate an album, I like to have several items that repeat throughout the project to help keep it cohesive.  In this case, I'm going to add doilies, ribbon and self-adhesive pearls as well as using a consistent colour scheme of brown, pink and green.  All these items won't show up on every page, but there will be enough of them throughout the book to create cohesion.
 
Here's a step-by-step photo montage of the way I decorated my cover.  I used a combination of glue, double-sided tape and foam tape to secure all the elements.

 
This is how my cover looked when I finished.

 
I didn't want to waste any space at all in my book so I decided to add embellishments and tags to the inside cover, back and front.

 
To create pockets for tags, simply use double-sided tape along the bottom and sides of patterned paper, leaving the top open for the tag to slide in and out.

 
I created pockets for the back cover in the same way.
 
 
Here I layered a small pocket over a larger one.

 
Now create tags to fit each of the pockets.  I find you need to make the tags about 1/2" narrower than the pocket opening, which is the measurement between the pieces of double-sided tape, so that they slide in and out with ease.
 
Make tags from pieces of cardstock, decorated with patterned paper, ribbons and embellishments.  Remember to decorate both sides of your tags, particularly if they are going to protrude outside the edges of the book cover.
 
Front and Back 
 
Front and Back 
 
Tomorrow we'll start adding pages to our album.

Pages 1 & 2

7 comments:

E. F said...

Woooowwww!!! te ha quedado muy bien, genial.

Wendy L said...

Looks fab, will pop in tomorrow too, xxx

Myrna said...

Hi Beccy,
I am a bad follower. I follow but don't often comment even though I enjoy what you do. Seems time is a factor. Todays project is fabulous. However, I just had to ask today where you got the paper for the cover. I have had a white and black scrap of the same paper on my desk for months trying to find where I got it from. Any help would be appreciated.
Myrna

Renee B. said...

Looks fantastic Beccy....I love the colors you are using!
Hugs, Renee

Beccy said...

Hi Myrna,
I've had that paper in my stash for ages... actually I've had all the paper I've used in this album for ages! I think the one you're asking about is a piece from Kaisercraft, but I can't be absolutely certain of that. Whatever it is, it's probably long discontinued by now.
Cheers,
Beccy

Teresa said...

Fun watching it come together!

Myrna said...

Thanks Beccy for answering my question about the album cover paper. I know the piece I had was from when I first started making cards several years ago.
Myrna